Policy link


At St Paul's C of E Primary, we recognise the full spectrum of Special Educational Needs and Disability, which includes catering for both able and less able pupils. We meet the needs of all pupils through curriculum strategies, targeted intervention by teaching assistants and intervention strategies such as additional literacy support and differentiating work in class, we also liaise closely with outside agencies, including Barnet Inclusion Service, Educational Psychology Service, School Nurse, Speech and Language Team and Occupational therapy Team. The Governors seek to ensure accessibility for disabled pupils within the restrictions of the building.


Please find below our SEND Information report:

St Paul’s Primary School

SEN Information Report 2016-2017

Head teacher: Mrs Patricia West

SENCO: Rita Sood

SEN Governor: Ms Claire Betts



Our school’s Special Educational Needs (SEN) Information Report highlights the key points identified in the Code of Practice (COP 6.79) 2014. The information required is set out in the Special Educational Needs and Disability Regulations 2014 and must include information about pertinent points as detailed below.


What are the kinds of SEN that are provided for?

At St. Paul’s we support children with a variety of needs. The four broad ‘areas of need’ are Communication and Interaction, Cognition and Learning, Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties, and Sensory and Physical Needs. For more detailed information, please see the school’s ‘SEN Policy’.


How do we identify children and young people with SEN

According to the Code of Practice (COP 6.15), children have SEN where their learning difficulty or disability calls for special educational provision, namely provision different from or additional to that normally available to pupils of the same age. When a child has needs in one or more above mentioned ‘areas of need’, then it calls for special educational provision to be made for them. For more detailed information, please see the school’s SEN Policy.


What should I do if I think my child may have Special Educational Needs?

If you have concerns about your child contact the class teacher who is usually available after school and where this is not possible, appointments can be made. You can get in touch with the SENCO by e-mail or phone. You can also contact your GP or health visitor. You may also like to contact SENDIASS a support service for parents of children with special needs and disabilities.


What would happen if the teacher thinks your child may have Special Educational Needs?

We aim to include the child in class through quality first teaching (QFT), which is differentiated for children to address their learning needs. If the child continues to face difficulties then your child’s teacher will discuss this at the ‘pupil progress’ meetings. An ‘Initial Concerns Checklist’ form will be filled by the teacher of any newly identified child, to show what strategies have been put in place and the impact/progress made as a result of the strategies.


What are the arrangements for assessing and reviewing children and young people’s progress towards outcomes?

Your child’s class teacher will meet with SENCO to discuss the child’s barriers to learning and collaboratively they will plan the way forward. Parents will be informed about the school’s decision to monitor their child’s progress, with an open invitation to discuss/contribute. Strategies/interventions may be put in place. The impact of additional support is recorded and monitored through the graduated approach, which is assess, plan, do and review model below.


What happens next?

If a learner is identified as having SEN, we will provide support that is ‘additional to’ or ‘different from’ the differentiated approaches and learning arrangements normally provided as part of QFT. For children with an EHCP or statement, progress will be formally reviewed at an annual review with all stakeholders involved with the child’s education to review the progress of the interventions. We aim to include all children within their classrooms as much as possible and involve parents as partners, supporting them with any strategies we can offer as well as take on their suggestions to support the child in the best way possible.


What sort of interventions do we offer:

From the four broad ‘areas of need’ above, the child may receive interventions in one or more areas, for example, if the needs are in the area of Social, Emotional and Mental Health, then the child may be demonstrating difficulty in the playground with friendships, show a lack of resilience when there is a conflict with another child, in which case we may monitor and assess to ascertain the support to put in place, this may be on a 1:1 or small groups basis with a TA or Learning Mentor. If a child continues to demonstrate significant social or emotional difficulties we can refer to locally available bodies like the Primary Project (who will provide a counsellor to work in school), CAMHS (Child and Adolescence Mental Health Service), Educational Psychology service or other services offered through the Barnet local offer. If the needs are in the area of Communication and Interaction, we will offer interventions to suit the intensity of their needs and these could be any one or more from a range of e.g. PECs, Visuals, Makaton, specialist equipment; or programmes like ‘Talk Boost’ delivered on a 1:1 or small group basis to support the child with developing communication skills. If a child does not make sufficient progress despite the interventions, then a referral can be made to the NHS speech and language service. If the needs are in the area of Cognition and Learning, i.e. the child not making the progress expected for their age range we would provide specific interventions like ‘First Class Number’ or ‘Accelerate Read Accelerate Write’, alternatively we may carry out diagnostic assessments in order to establish precise need and implement an intervention to meet the pupil needs. This will be monitored and assessed periodically. If we feel a child is still not making the expected progress, then an outside professional such as an advisory teacher or an educational psychologist will be involved with parental consent for further advice to support the child’s needs. If the child has Sensory and/or physical needs, we will make every effort to provide additional or different resources, equipment or arrangements for children who need them.  We will seek support from outside agencies like the Occupational or Physiotherapy service or involve specialist/advisory teachers from Barnet. We have access to a school nurse and can help with referring to medical practitioners for suspected or specific medical needs.


How do we involve parents with their child’s education?

Parents are invited to review their child’s progress and the provision in a variety of ways, including termly pupil progress meetings for identified children, termly meeting with the teachers, coffee mornings and progress/person centered reviews where required in liaison with outside agencies attached to the child. Parents also receive an end of year report, which includes their child’s SEN progress review. Parents can comment or add their views. Children receiving SEN support have additional comments on their end of year report. Curriculum evenings to support parental knowledge in areas like reading, phonics & internet safety are also offered. In addition we seek parental feedback via parental questionnaires, invites to attend meetings with EP, CAHMS, TACs, SALT etc. depending upon the service involved.


How are the teachers in school helped to work with children with SEN, and what training do we provide?

All teaching staff and support staff have on-going training which may be in-house, courses run by the Local Authority or other specific relevant training. This enables all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children, including those with SEN. Our school staff is highly skilled at differentiating the curriculum and the inclusion team have had additional training on specific interventions in the areas of language and communication development as well as social, emotional, mental health (SEMH) backed by some staff trained in Team Teach/positive handling. The SENCO has a Masters Degree in autism as well as the national accreditation for special needs co-ordination and is a part of the Barnet forum group that meets regularly to discuss matters related to SEND.


What are the arrangements for supporting children through transition?

At the Nursery phase, home visits take place and parents are provided with a pack of information detailing school information relevant to them. The home visits enables the child and parents to meet the staff as well discuss relevant information in order to support the child to transition smoothly. We may work closely with other pre-school settings or any additional agencies involved, to ensure appropriate provision and support successful transition of children with SEND, as they begin their school journey with us. Joining Reception phase is similar to the Nursery one. Transition to our primary phase involves meetings between the parents/carers, SENCO plus any relevant others, to discuss the child’s needs and to show them around school. We will also liaise with the child’s previous school or external agencies/ professionals to discuss the child’s strengths or strategies in order to plan smooth transition/ settling period. Moving to a new school may involve meetings between professionals, parents and teaching assistants. Children attend organised as well as bespoke visits to the receiving school with parents or staff from St. Paul’s. When a child transitions between year groups we work closely with parents, children and staff to ensure these transitions run as smoothly as possible. Handover to new teachers is organised and discussed between the teachers. We support the children’s transition to our school, between every class, and also to secondary school in a variety of ways. Sometimes staff will accompany children who receive one to one support to their new Secondary School. Transition meetings will take place with the SENCO and other stakeholders. St. Paul’s believes in a holistic approach to learning and considers each child as an individual. We provide a multi-layered approach with a focus on the needs of each child. We value both parents and the child’s views as part of our process of support.


How do we involve children with decision-making?

We have an active School Council, which influences areas of school life such as the choice of playground equipment. The children at St Paul’s are extremely considerate and thoughtful to children with special educational needs and this is often reflected in their decisions. Pupils’ views are also sought through target setting, pupil questionnaire /conferencing. We discuss our marking and assessment with them and also involve children with assessing through peer marking. Children with an EHCP and Year six pupils are invited to attend their reviews.


How do we ensure children with SEND are fully included in our school?

Children attend breakfast club, after school club and lunch clubs. All children go on educational visits and take part in school productions and events. Our break and lunch times involve all children, we also support children with play skills, friendship skills and mentoring in order to help them integrate fully in the life of our school community.


How are looked after children (LAC) with SEND supported?

We liaise with any outside agency and Carers to gain an overview of every LAC child, plan the provision and then follow the schools graduated process to measure the provision’s impact. This is shared with the designated LAC teacher, allocated social worker and family liaison officer from ‘Barnet Children and Families’.


How do we address concerns raised by Parents/ Carers of children with SEND?

We work in partnership with Parents/Carers to meet the needs of our children. Any concern needs to be addressed to the class teacher first, and then the SENCO. In the unlikely event that the concern is not resolved, then the parent may contact the Head teacher. For further information please see our complaints policy (available on request)


For further information, please contact:

SENCo: Ms Rita Sood,


Telephone: 020 8368 483 (Monday, Wednesday & Friday)



This report should be read alongside the following documents:

The ‘Ordinarily Available’ document, which we refer to as the ‘School Offer’, describes the educational provision that is available in all Barnet maintained schools and academies. Click


The Barnet Local Offer describes all the provisions which the London Borough of Barnet have available. Click


Barnet SEN Personal Budgets Information Click


Personal Budgets for Children and Young People (0-25 years) with Education, Health and Care Plans who live in Barnet. Click


School admissions- Barnet Click


Please also look at our SEND Policy Click


View our Accessibility Plan  Click