Message from the Vicar
What a caring community we have at St Paul’s School. In my short time here in New Southgate I’ve already seen that care radiate out into the wider neighbourhood as the school holistically supports families, and engages in acts of kindness in our local area.
As a church, we are fortunate that our church building is just round the corner from our school. Many school families are involved in church life and this is a rich blessing when Sunday by Sunday we gather for Christian worship. The school and church communities come together particularly beautifully at those special times of the Christian year including Easter, Harvest and Christmas. Other highlights include Mothering Sunday, Remembrance Sunday, the Christingle services (so popular in 2019 we had two) and our parish Christmas bazaar.
There has always been a strong connection between the school and the parish church. In 1892, a few years after Garfield School had been built and despite opposition from the Local Education Authority, the Vicar of St. Paul’s Church, Fr. Bowman, built St. Paul’s School on the site of tea gardens behind the Railway Hotel (which is now the site of the Co-Op).
That foundation was the start of a strong connection with the parish church, which is a connection that has continued to this present day.
As Vicar, I am pleased to be very involved with the life of the school, both as Governor, and through leading weekly acts of collective worship and celebrating the Eucharist each half-term.
I’m always here, for pupils, parents, staff and the wider community.
Reverend Matt Harbage
More about St Paul’s Church
St. Paul’s Church is a place of Christian faith and worship, a caring community, and a beautiful, spiritual building set in this vibrant and busy area of North London. Essential to the life of this church is the sense of welcome and belonging that everyone can enjoy as part of the community.
– A family of people of all ages, for whom God is important and has a central place in our lives.
– Ordinary people who try to follow Jesus Christ.
– People who care about the values of our society and the life of our local area as well as the world around us, who seek to serve the spiritual (and often material) needs of our local community.
– A very social group of people who organise activities ranging from days out to holidays to parties and picnics.
St. Paul’s Church is more than a building…
– It is a space where people find quiet space, and share joyous celebration.
– With our attached Church Hall, individuals and groups regularly hire the space for parties, performances and space to exercise.
– It is a place for all ages to gather; every Sunday we offer something special for children either in Young Church activities or through the All-Age service on the first Sunday of each month.
– We regularly welcome newcomers to services – whether you’ve been to church before or not.
So why not come and pay us a visit? Details of services and other events are on our website:
You will find a very warm welcome.
The Reverend Matt Harbage
Vicar of St Paul’s Church, New Southgate
The Vicarage, 11 Woodland Road, New Southgate N11 1PN